Keeping Your Interests Ahead of Your Employer's

Protecting Your Rights in the Workplace Is All We Do

Is it illegal for a former employer to give me an unsubstantiated bad reference?

While it is not illegal to give a bad reference if the statements are true, you can file a lawsuit if an employer is purposely sabotaging your job search efforts by lying to prospective employers.

References, whether good or bad, have to be truthful. If you were disciplined at your last job, failed to complete projects on time or constantly showed up late, these are statements that an employer can legally provide to a prospective employer.

If, however, you have been a model employee, but your employer told another employer some lies to keep you from getting a job, you may be able to file a legal claim. You will have to prove three elements:

  • The information given was untrue.
  • This inaccurate information had a negative impact on your job search.
  • The employer was negligent in providing another employer with this information.

Contact Ricotta & Marks, P.C.

If you have proof of all three elements, contact the employment attorney’s at Ricotta & Marks, P.C. Call (800) 240-9269 or send contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation

Quick Case Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

I have read the disclaimer.

Privacy Policy.

Office Location

Ricotta & Marks, P.C.
1 Old Country Road, Suite 347
Carle Place, NY 11514

Toll Free: 800-240-9269
Fax: 800-483-4508
Carle Place Law Office Map

Long Island City Office
3110 37th Avenue, Suite 401
Long Island City, NY 11101

Phone: 800-240-9269
Toll Free: 800-240-9269
Fax: 800-483-4508
Long Island City Office Map

Back to Top