Transgender Discrimination Lawyers in Long Island Experienced with Your Claim
At Ricotta & Marks, P.C., our transgender discrimination lawyers in Long Island, NY represent employees with care, compassion, and the highest level of professional skill. Transgender and gender non-conforming workers are protected by state and federal law. If you were the victim of transgender discrimination in the workplace, we are more than ready to protect your rights.
An Overview of Legal Protections for Transgender Workers in New York
For decades, transgender and gender non-conforming individuals have faced unfair treatment in employment and in society at large. Only recently have transgender employees been able to access true workplace protections. If you are transgender or gender non-conforming person in Long Island, you are protected by state and federal regulations:
- New York State Law: New York’s Sexual Orientation Non-Discrimination Act (SONDA) is that primary state law protected transgender employees. As state authorities explain, SONDA protects every worker based on their actual or perceived sexual orientation and gender identity. Transgender and gender non-conforming people are protected by this statute. In addition, New York state courts have consistently ruled that the state’s Human Rights Law bars discrimination against an employee based on their transgender status.
- Federal Law: In June of 2020, the Supreme Court of the United States issued a landmark decision in an employment discrimination case (Bostock v. Clayton County). In its ruling, the nation’s top court determined that transgender employees are protected against workplace discrimination under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Your gender identity should not be used against you to deny you access to fair treatment and full opportunities in the workplace. Employers must be held accountable for discriminating against transgender workers and/or allowing the harassment of transgender workers to persist unremedied. State and federal labor laws allow you to bring a claim for mistreatment.
What is Transgender Discrimination in the Workplace?
Transgender discrimination is unfair or inequitable treatment based on a person’s actual or perceived gender identity. If you were subject to any form of adverse employment action because you are a transgender or gender non-conforming individual, your workplace rights may have been violated under state law, federal law, or both. Some of the most common examples of adverse employment actions include:
- Refusal to consider or hire transgender job applicants;
- Unequal pay or benefits for transgender workers;
- Refusal to promote transgender employees;
- Unjust termination of a transgender worker; or
- Allowing harassment against transgender people in the workplace.
Ultimately, transgender discrimination comes in many forms. In some cases, it is open and aggressive. In other cases, it is more subtle and underhanded. Regardless, it is completely unacceptable. If you believe that you were subject to employment discrimination based on your gender identity, your case deserves an in-depth, professional investigation. Reach out to our Long Island transgender discrimination lawyers for guidance and support.
You Can Count on the New York Transgender Discrimination Lawyers at Ricotta & Marks
Sadly, transgender discrimination and harassment remains a serious problem in workplaces in New York and throughout the United States. At Ricotta & Marks, P.C., we help employees assert their rights. You deserve better. Your gender status or gender presentation should never be used to deny you fair and equal employment opportunities. When you reach out to our New York employment law firm, you will have a chance to speak directly to a Long Island workplace discrimination lawyer who will:
- Listen to your story and answer your questions;
- Conduct a comprehensive review of your transgender discrimination claim;
- Gather and organize all documents, records, and evidence; and
- Take aggressive action to get you justice, accountability, and compensation.
We exclusively practice employment law. Our attorneys devote all of their time and attention to fighting for the rights and interests of workers. With decades of experience, our trial-proven Long Island transgender discrimination and harassment attorneys are always prepared to take legal action if an employer fails to offer you a full and proper settlement.
Call Our Long Island Transgender Discrimination Attorneys Today
At Ricotta & Marks, P.C., our New York employment lawyers have the experience and expertise to handle transgender workplace discrimination actions. If you or your family member endured transgender discrimination in the workplace, we can help. Contact us at 347-464-8694 for a confidential case evaluation. We represent employees in transgender discrimination claims throughout Long Island, including in New York City, Hempstead, Hicksville, Commack, Bay Shore, Shirley, Riverhead, Bridgehampton, and East Hampton.