shadow Different Requirements for Permanent & Temporary US Work Visa Types
Keeping Your Interests Ahead of Your Employer's

Protecting Your Rights in the Workplace Is All We Do

Types of U.S. Work Visas | What You Need to Know

Many foreigners come to the United States to find work, either on a temporary or permanent basis. However, almost all jobs require proof of eligibility to work in the U.S., which means that those who were not born in the United States must have the appropriate visa in order to hold a job here.

In the United States, there are millions of immigrants from all countries in the world who are currently working. They work in industries such as agriculture, construction, hospitality, business services, and personal services. There are 2.8 million immigrants in New York who make up nearly 28% of the state’s workforce.

Despite having a visa, many immigrants face discrimination because of the color of their skin and their country of birth. Read on to learn about the different types of work visas available and what to do if you face discrimination.

Types of Work Visas

If you are a foreigner looking to work in the United States, there are multiple visas to choose from. The most common one is the H1B visa, which is used by students and professionals all over the world and is good for six years. The E3 visa is similar to the H1B visa but is only used for Australian citizens. Those who live in Mexico and Canada would apply for the TN1 visa.

A green card is also common and is used for foreigners who want to live in the United States permanently. A green card has no limits on duration.

The H2A visa is available for agricultural workers. This visa is good for temporary or seasonal employment. To hire foreigners for these positions, employers must show that there are not enough U.S. workers who are willing, able, available and qualified to do the work. They must also show that hiring these workers will not affect the employment of U.S. workers. The H2B visa is also available for temporary work, particularly positions in the tourist and hospitality industries.

A J1 visa is a training/learning visa that is available on a short-term basis. A foreigner would use this visa to learn new skills in the United States and then return to their home country to use them.

An L1 visa is for senior employees who work in another country but want to transfer to one of their company’s offices in the United States. An E2 visa is for investors only. Foreigners who want to buy or start a business in the United States would choose this visa.

Contact a New York Employment Discrimination Lawyer

Immigrant discrimination is still an issue in the United States, even though millions of immigrants live in this country legally. If you have faced discrimination from an employer because of the color of your skin, your national origin, or your immigration status, seek legal help.

The experienced New York employment discrimination lawyers at Ricotta & Marks, P.C. can help you file a case and hold the employer liable for their illegal actions. To get started, call (347) 464-8694 to schedule a consultation.

Quick Case Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

I have read the disclaimer.

Privacy Policy.

Office Location

Ricotta & Marks, P.C.
1 Old Country Road, Suite 347
Carle Place, NY 11514

Phone: 347-464-8694
Fax: 800-483-4508
Carle Place Law Office Map

Long Island City Office
3110 37th Avenue, Suite 401
Long Island City, NY 11101

Phone: 347-464-8694
Fax: 800-483-4508
Long Island City Office Map

Back to Top